Suggested Level of Knowledge: Detailed
BT_SQ 1.6 Describe the methods of measurement applicable to anaesthesia, including clinical utility, complications and sources of error in particular:
· SI units
· Measurement of volumes, flows, and pressures, including transducers.
· Measurement of blood pressure
· Measurement of cardiac output
· Measurement of temperature
· Gas analysis, including capnography
· Methods used to measure respiratory function, including:
– Forced expiratory volume
– Peak expiratory flow rate
– Vital capacity
– Flow-volume loops
– Functional residual capacity and residual volume
2018.2 Briefly describe the principles (50%) and sources of error (50%) in the measurement of arterial blood pressure using an automated oscillometric non-invasive monitor.
2013.2, 2011.2, 2007.1 Describe the effects of resonance and damping on an invasive arterial blood pressure tracing.
2003.1, 2000.2 Briefly describe the principles and sources of error in the measurement of systemic arterial blood pressure using an automated oscillometric non-invasive monitor.
Opening Viva Questions
What are the principles behind the non-invasive measurement of blood pressure?
Miller 8th Ed Cap 45
Dorsch Practical Approach to Anesthesia Equipment Cap 22
Al-Shaikh Non-invasive monitoring Cap 10
Magee & Tooley Cap 12
Lake Cap 13